How to cook frozen steak in an air fryer? It’s a reasonably simple cooking process that takes about 15-2o minutes—Preheat the air fryer to 400° Fahrenheit. Season the frozen steak with a generous amount of salt and pepper and rub it with light olive oil. Cook frozen steak in the air fryer for 15-20 minutes, depending on the steak’s doneness level you want to achieve.
There’s one downside to cooking frozen steak in the air – you can’t get a good crust on the steak’s exterior. Other than that, the steak cooks well and is flavorful and tender when cooked properly.
In this article, you’ll find a step-by-step guide on cooking frozen steak in the air fryer. Let’s start with how to store steak properly in the freezer because it’s a crucial step that most home cooks overlook.
How To Freeze Steak Before Cooking In The Air Fryer
Take a fresh beef steak, and before storing it in a freezer, remove as much moisture from the steak’s exterior as possible. It’s essential since it’ll allow steak to achieve a crispy exterior more effectively. Use a paper towel or a dry cloth to pat the steak dry. Line a baking sheet or plate with parchment paper and put the steak on it. Freeze the steak overnight. The following morning take the steak and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. It’ll prevent any moisture build-up and freezer burn. Once the steak is wrapped, place it in a ziplock bag and put it in a freezer. Steak can last in a freezer for up to a year; however, it’s better to use it within six months.
How To Cook Frozen Steak In The Air Fryer: Step-By-Step
- Preheat The Air Fryer. Preheat the air fryer to 400° Fahrenheit. However, if your air fryer can go as high as 450° Fahrenheit, then preheat it to 450° Fahrenheit. It’ll help to achieve a better crust;
- Pat Steak Dry With Paper Towel. Take a paper towel or dry cloth and remove as much moisture as possible if it has any. Excess moisture build-up can cause the steak to boil;
- Season Frozen Steak. Season your steak with a generous amount of kosher salt and freshly ground pepper (Here are air fryer recipes for inspiration), and rub the steak with light olive oil. You can opt to use any other oil for cooking steak;
- Cook Frozen Steak In The Air Fryer. Place a frozen steak in the air fryer and cook for 15-20 minutes—Cook the steak to medium-rare or medium for the best flavor and texture. Depending on the steak’s size, it can take around 18 minutes for the steak to cook medium-rare. Halfway through cooking the steak, flip it over, so it cooks evenly. Use a meat thermometer to check the steak’s internal temperature. Remove it from the air fryer when the internal temperature is 5° Fahrenheit below the desired doneness. It’s called a carryover cooking which means that the steak continues to cook when of the heat source;
- Rest The Steak. Resting the steak for at least 5-10 minutes is essential. It’ll allow steak juices to redistribute throughout the steak’s interior, making it juicy and tender.
Which Frozen Steak Cut Is Best For Cooking In The Air Fryer
The best steak cuts for cooking frozen in the air fryer are those with a good amount of marbling. It can be a ribeye steak, New York strip steak, filet mignon, or even larger cuts such as t-bone steak or porterhouse steak. Lean cuts can become tough and chewy when cooked frozen in the air fryer.
Learn more about different steak cuts by clicking on one of the links below:
How to make air fryer steak tender and juicy?
The key to making air fryer steak juicy and tender is in preparation and cooking. First, the steak should be stored and seasoned correctly. And last but not least, it should not be overcooked; otherwise, it becomes tough and chewy.
Can you cook frozen steak in the air fryer?
Yes, you can cook frozen steak in the air fryer. It’s as simple as cooking a fresh or thawed steak. Season steak before cooking and cook it in a preheated air fryer at 400° Fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes, depending on the level of doneness.
How long does it take to cook a frozen steak in the air fryer?
Depending on the steak size, it can take 15-20 minutes to cook steak in the air fryer. However, if you wish to cook your steak medium-well or well done, it can take even more than 20 minutes.